While reading Eric Gardner’s book—Jennie Carter: A Black Journalist of the Early West—in the spring of 2019, Deer Creek Project Coordinator, Lisa Redfern day-dreamed about highlighting Jennie Carter in a historical video. Upon reaching Carter’s temperance segment (page 25, 1868) describing drinking water out of Deer Creek, Redfern found the connection she needed to go-for-it.
Video production took the entire summer to execute;
- pieces of Carter’s writing were selected
- Katrina Thompson was asked to portray and voice act for Jennie Carter’s part
- filming location permission, costumes, and props were secured
- scene planning was mapped and detailed
- a delightful evening was spent at Randco Studios recording Jennie’s writing
- filming took place on one long day (July 5th) starting early in Colfax and following the light to the Pine Grove Cemetery in Nevada City
- Colfax Area Heritage Museum
- Pine Grove Cemetery, Nevada City
- Doris Foley Historical Library, Nevada City
- Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- The lovely, cultivated garden of Ann Adams
- Deer Creek, Nevada County
Many thanks to…
Voice Acting & Jennie Carter Portrayal
Audio Recording & Sound Design
The Jennie Carter production would not have been as wonderful without them!
Initially, the Jennie Carter material was envisioned as five short videos. Each segment — four minutes in length — took a full week to compile and edit.
Every square or rectangle in the video above represents an image, a sound effect, video clip, or text file.
Once the segments were proofed, it was decided that they would show better as one piece.
Director & Video Production
“Lost, one golden hour with sixty diamond minutes. No reward, for they can never be found.” Horace Mann, 1856
If you liked this post, check out;
Jennie Carter’s Thoughts & Words from Nevada City 1867 – 1874 (video)
Jennie Carter’s Nevada County Setting 1860s, 2nd Marriage & Obituary
Jennie Carter’s Pre-Civil War, Civil War & Reconstruction-era 1846-1870
Jennie Carter Book Review
Nineteenth-Century Creole Snacks & Jennie Carter (Shared Tastes recipe blog)
For more behind-the-scenes imagery, visit Following Deer Creek on Instagram.