Anthony House Aflame & Under Lake Wildwood

First published July 25, 2018

Before the white man came, the Anthony House / Rose Corral area of Penn Valley was home to Nisenan Headman Pamelo. The village, Cocosa, was once a vibrant trading site.

 

“The very earliest settlement of which we can obtain a trace in the territory now known as Nevada County, was in the summer of 1848, at a place known as Rose’s Corral, between what is now the Anthony House and Bridgeport. A man named Rose here built an adobe house, in which he traded with the Indians of the neighborhood, and a corral.” – A. A. Sargent, Nevada, Grass Valley and Rough and Ready Citizens Directory 1856

Historic Property Listing – May 8 & 15, 1852 – NEVADA JOURNAL
A Rare Chance.
FOR SALE – The Anthony House, together with a splendid Ranch of 160 acres of the best sort of land, situated in Spring Valley, Deer Creek. Four yoke of oxen, wagon, timber, carriage, a quantity of poultry, hogs, etc. A garden, spring house, water in abundance all season. The house is capable of accommodating fifty boarders and in full trade at present. The team earns twenty-five dollars daily, by contract. As the subscriber wishes to return to the Atlantic States, in consequence of the ill health of his wife, there will be a good chance for the purchase to realize a fortune in a short time. Apply on the premises or to J. WARREN, Star Bakery, Grass Valley

  “The spot is now in ruins, and has been but little used since – the location not being valuable for the purpose of trade, as the county became more fully developed and no mines having been discovered int he vicinity. ” – A. A. Sargent, Nevada, Grass Valley and Rough and Ready Citizens Directory 1856

https://youtu.be/JqM1rn0jego

 

If you liked this post, check out Land of Broken Promises,  Nisenan Book Review, Culture, & Healing Historic Trauma or Lake Wildwood Development & Current Events.

Resources:

Nevada County Historical Sites – Anthony House

NevadaCountyLandmarks.com

Penn Valley Chamber of Commerce – Long-Time Rancher Looks Back (Anthony House), Marianne McKnight 1999
“Before Lake Wildwood was built, the road meandered alongside the Creek, on what is now the other side of the lake. …There was a one-way bridge across Deer Creek.”

South Yuba River State Park – Anthony House Stage Stop

Worldwide Native Land Maps

Leave a Reply